When I first got this Beetle three years ago, the paint job was in good condition. There was some patchwork paint in places, but for the most part, it was in good shape.
Over the years of hot summers and cold winters, the clear coat started to flake away, as depicted in this picture.
Knowing I have other bodywork to do to this thing, I decided to start peeling away the flaking clear coat (a heat gun and sharp chisel actually makes the job easy) and begin to paint the car in sections.
I’m actually not doing the final paint work, but because of the condition of the existing paint, I at least wanted to cover the Beetle in a single color. My wife and I may end up painting the Beetle in a black metal flake. So, during this temporary “recoating” process, I decided to paint it black.
As I said, this is only to get a solid color on it for the time being. That’s why I’m not going overboard on the type of paint, only choosing a kind that I can get readily and comes from a spray can.
In isolated sections, I did some spot sanding to clear out rust, put a primer coat on, and painted the desired color on top of that.
Up close, you can definitely see that is not a professional job, but as I said before, I’m working to at least having a single color that I can reapply as I do various body repairs to it. Eventually, I’ll do one massive body prepping to prepare the Beetle for a trip to a professional paint shop.
The problem was, it took all of my weekend and I got less than half of the Beetle repainted. Thinking ahead on this, I decided to be as stylish and symmetrical as possible. So, I kind of painted a “mohawk” in black, from the hood, over the roof, to the engine lid.
These pictures show how it turned out so far. Not too bad looking, but at least it looks symmetrical.